Are you a foreigner? How to file your taxes in the United States

If you just moved to the United States and this is your first tax return – or you are just confused – here are a couple of tips so that everything goes according to plan.

If you are relatively new to the United States and you have to file taxes, here are a couple of tips to make the process less complicated.

Do I have to declare?

If you are wondering whether or not you should file taxes, the answer is most likely yes. According to Dianifer Rodriguez, who works at the Financial Advisory Window of the Consulate of Mexico in Los Angeles, any person who has been in the United States for six months or more and who has received income must declare it before the Internal Revenue Service ( IRS, for its acronym in English).

Now, if your income comes from your home country or any other foreign country, the IRS does not have the authority to collect taxes on that income. If you receive income from a US company, you will have to.

What I need?

For this, you will need your Social Security Number (SSN, for its acronym in English). If you don’t qualify for an SSN, don’t worry. In that case, the number you must process is the Taxpayer’s Personal Identification Number (ITIN).

What is the difference between ITIN and SSN? The SSN is a number issued to US citizens or non-resident aliens who have work visas. The ITIN is for all those who study or work in the United States, who are identified as non-residents and who do not meet the necessary requirements to obtain an SSN.

For tax purposes, both are used to make your return. However, the ITIN is a number issued by the IRS and not by the Social Security Administration. To obtain it, you must fill out a W-7 form and present the required documentation. Here you will find all the information about the process.